Thursday, October 23, 2008

Jeremiah's Obedience

Imagine being Jeremiah during this time. He was prophesying to the people of Israel, but not to a people who embraced what God was speaking through him. He was delivering truth and great news of despair and wrath. He was not a popular person, and it was incredibly difficult to deliver God's words to the people. I bet he felt alone, outcast, and not liked. Although God was speaking directly to him, socially I bet he was discarded. He was not in favor of the people, and when he brought the clay jar and smashed it to pieces to illustrate God's prophesy of breaking the people....man....could you imagine how nervous you would of been.

God asks each one of us to step out in faith and obedience to live his commands and spread his truth. He doesnt want us to feel ashamed when confronting brothers and sisters of the great evils that they may be involved in. Courage. Jeremiah's complaint (Jer 20:7) sums up his worldy status:

"O'Lord you deceived me and I was deceived,
you overpowered me and prevailed,
I am ridiculed all day long,
everyone mocks me.
Whenever I speak, I cry out
proclaiming violence and destruction"

Prayer: Lord, use me for your glory. I ask that you continue to transform my life and the lives around me for your plans. In times of despair I ask that I continue to praise you, and that your holy spirit lives inside of me...strengthening me for your glory. Amen.

No comments: