Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Sin and Punishment

I think the bottom line in Jeremiah 8, is "What prompted Israel to turn away from God?".  People became to worldly, selfish, and driven to idols rather than focusing on the Lord.  Even worse, they seemed to proclaim that they are wise and have the law of the Lord.  But, they ultimately were rejecting God through their deceit, sins, and idolatry.  It was scary to read on in Jeremiah 9:4 "Beware of your friends; do not trust your brothers, for every brother is a deceiver and every friend a slanderer.  Friend deceives friend and no one speaks the truth".  What a sad place to be in (sometimes we can all relate in events through our lives), and the people displaced God from their hearts, minds, and the worldly desires dominated.  Do we have such troubles during our time...we sure do.  I have had my moments of lamenting on money, or too busy with work, or gone to a party and was a drunkard.  It is so easy to become of the world, and not the heavenly.  How can we avoid such lures.  We can focus on God's truth - the Bible, we can start a blog to keep our reading and journaling documented and accountable, we can pray throughout the day (its a great reminder to focus on what's really important), we can have contact with our battle buddies and care group members, etc.  I guess what I am trying to state is that we all need to individually find the correct habits or tools to build that relationship with God in such a busy and changing world.  We need to each find our balance and remember the priorities of God, Spouse, Family (including children), Work...etc.... It's being disciplined spiritually.  God will punish, and that punishment maybe harsh or it may be missing out on the peace of God's love and relationship while we are on this planet!

An excellent you tube skit to watch is the following.  I was shedding a little water if you know what I mean., it was emotional.


Prayer: God, please give me the discipline to develop spiritual habits that help build the kind of relationship with you while on Earth.  You have brought me so far these last 4 years.. and I am a changed man....Thank you. Amen.

PS.  I am listening to Bringing Up Boys by James Dobson, good stuff!  Work was great today, lots to do.  Craig and I met this morning for Bible Study and I must say the Battle Buddies are back in action...Wed AM this winter!


1 comment:

cbaum said...

Yes, Battle Buddies are BACK, and waiting expectantly to see how God will work in and through us! I agree that Jeremiah certainly reminds us that we are ALL worldly sinners, and that God wants us to REPENT! Let's get on our knees and cry out to God to forgive us for our sins! Here are mine: selfishness, pride, impure thoughts, gossip, worry, lack of faith, and more...God, you know my heart! Forgive me for turning from you...make me clean for your purposes!